Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Culture Shock

Five months ago, I frist stepped in Canada. I have never been excited for coming here, 'cuz I had already known there would be tons of difficulties I had to overcome, not only the language. Calgary is a really good city, I must say, except the weather..... THe people here are almost friendly. However, I just feel that it is not my city. I cannot feel like this is where I should settle in..I cannot explain why. I know that I might come across the culture shock. I really feel like I am a different person here cuz I grow up in an alternative culture. When I'm in China I'm really a talktive person as I can talk to my friends on the phone for more than one hour.. In Canada, things change a lot. I don't feel free to talk to people any more even sometimes with my Chinese friends. I worked at a Hongkong restuarant before and a lady there told me if you never talked, your English will never have progress.. I know she is right but I just cannot talk even I wish I could. It always seems like the poeple around me have nothing similar with me. Sometimes I just wish if I could come here when I was a little bit younger,thus these complex stuff will never happen to me.
Now I feel much better than I first came here, I hope time can solve all the problems and everything will gonna be better....

6 comments:

Scott Douglas said...

It's really hard moving to a new city, and I know it's even harder making new friends and being able to chat freely in English. I'm sure, however, things will get better!

anna said...

Hi EStella,
I have the same problem, but it seems to me that I have found the way out. I repeat to myself or whisper all the native speaker whom I am trying to speak is saying. This is my way to improve English.
Yulia.

Sane said...

Estella don't feel bad!

it's just a phase trust me, some ppl take long time gettin'over it and others take shorter time. But remember ur in a city that has lots of potentials and you'll a gr8 future ;)

Hussain

Super Saiyan said...

I hope that you will overcome all your problem her in Clagar and to settle also. I could tell from your tone of writing that you are intending to move from here. Hopefully I am wrong. And BE STRONG

Alif said...

Don't feel so bad! Take time. When I first came in Calgary (not very much before: almost 10 months), I could not speak English very well. I can remember when the register of UofC was asking me questions, I mostly could not say anything, and my father did everything for me. I could say English like this aaaa I aaaaa could aaaaaaa say.... Still now, I do sometimes if i do not have familiar vocabularies. Don't worry, just force yourself a little beat.

Edward said...

Stella,

The human kind, as the majority of the animals, is an species able to adapt to environment changes. Hopefully, you will be able to do your part, and it won't be so painful. We all suffered from it, but I am sure you will succeed in the task.